Home (Main Menu)

Peter Schwartz Home (1878), 34745 Schwartz Road, Avon, Ohio

Our House, By Barbara Ladegaard

Deer Hunters

This description is based on information
compiled by the Avon Historical Society.

Peter and Mary Schwartz arrived from Germany in 1840 but lived in a log cabin until this lovely structure was built 1878. Another Peter Schwartz passed away in 1969; and the home was, for the first time, owned by someone other than a Schwartz.

Patricia Strebig wrote on 9-22-06: "Peter and Mary Schwartz arrived from Germany on 20 August 1840 on the ship Albany (Source: National Archives Microfilm M237-43). Those arriving were: Peter(59), Maria(60), Peter(27), John(36), Anna(31), Peter(3), Catherine(1), Catherine(23), and George(18). The eldest Peter had a brother John living in Avon who had arrived 1833. This was the John who built the altar of Holy Trinity Church."

At one time, a relative lived upstairs where he had a barbershop, sold candy and gum, and repaired shoes. A walk through this charming century home reveals the loving care and attention to details shown by the subsequent owners.

Carol Smith contributes:

Carol Smith helps her son Matt skin two deer during the El Nino winter of 1997 - 1998.

We would visit my Uncle Peter and my Aunts Blanche, Dorothy, and Martha Schwartz every Sunday afternoon from 1 to 4 pm. I usually brought my dolls and tea set to play house on the front porch or in an old building in the backyard. My parents would get a basket of eggs for the week. Sometimes I would walk to the barn to watch the horses drink water. I liked to hear the chickens squawk; and I had to be reminded once in a while not to chase them.

My aunts had books for me to read and a viewer to look at pictures. I could touch the piano keys very lightly. My Aunt Blanche played the piano. My dad would listen to the baseball game in the basement with Uncle Peter while my mother and aunts talked in the dining room. At home, my brother, Jim, would play the piano while my sister, Ellen, and I would harmonize to all the songs on the Hit Parade.

I also spent summer vacations with my uncle and aunts. One of my jobs was to go with Aunt Dorothy to the hen house to collect eggs from the nests in the boxes. We would always be on the lookout for snakes; this was thrilling for me because the nests were at the level of my eyes. Uncle Peter had cows and pigs. There was an ice box on the back porch where the cream would rise to the top of the milk. My aunts would put the cream into a churn and would push up and down on the handle until the cream turned into butter. They would sell butter and eggs to their steady customers who came to the farm on the weekends.

Uncle Peter had a smoke house where the pigs were hung. One year, when I was a little older, I had to test the new electric fence around the pig pen. There was a swill pail to feed the pigs. There was an outhouse between the pig pen and the garage. The corn crib was east of the pig pen; I liked to climb up and down the ladder and look in at the corn. I was a climber. I was always up in a tree. I was fascinated by the new red cream separator which my Uncle Peter bought. There were two spigots for the milk and cream to come out. I was not allowed on the porch when the separator was running, and I had to watch through the screen door from the kitchen. It was lots of fun to run around on the farm. Much of it was made into a City park; and now my grandchildren sometimes play there.

Top -- Home

OUR HOUSE, By Barbara Ladegaard, April 29, 2001

Memories from Blanche Schwartz

The original plot of ground for our house was 105 acres deeded over in 1874, and a log cabin was built that year on the west side of the present house beyond the lilacs and towards the road. The house was built in 1878 by P. J. Schwartz. He and wife Mary came from Germany in 1842, one year after the first mass was celebrated in a log cabin across the street in 1841.

By the red garage (west) there was an Ice House and Blanche's mother made butter, then sold it along with eggs to customers on the old Lake Shore Road.

A Cider Press was in the field beyond the gas well, located west of the present turn-around. It was a straight up and down red building with a flat roof. They would grind apples by hitching the horses up and going around in a circle to make press work. People would come and pay to have their apples ground. On Saturday evenings the young people would come and dance on the roof of the Cider Mill.

Wood from the property was cut and sold for the sum of $2.00/cord to the schools for kindling to start fires to keep the students warm. Gas from the gas well on the property was used for the stove, gaslights and hot plate. When it was no longer needed, it was capped off.

A well was dug right behind the house about 15' deep; it had good drinking water and never ran dry. The original barn, situated east of the smoke house and old gray building (club house), was struck by lightening in 1894 -- Leo was a baby -- and burned down. There was a back porch all the way along the back of the house and it was taken off to make the kitchen. There was a hole in the kitchen floor to clean out the cistern (board screwed down).

The front steps were shorter with fancy wood hand railings on both sides. The woodwork in the house was stained with a grain running through it. The steps going upstairs had a hand made rag runner on it. Because the road going by was so dusty the front porch was scrubbed every week.

The present living room was originally divided into two rooms, a bedroom in back and parlor in front. The main bedroom was divided into a bedroom in back and living room in front. They had stoves to keep warm. The present dining room was a combination kitchen/dining area, and the bathroom was the pantry.

There was a fancy three-holed outhouse south of the west garage complete with wallpaper and lace curtains in it. That was taken down sometime in the 1970's. A rail fence ran along by the fire station and back to the orchard (now park property). They raised about two acres of grapes across from the present barn and east a little bit.

The dining room has a tongue and groove ceiling because the plaster fell due to the business of repairing shoes in the walk-in attic directly above. Also, haircuts were given there. There were four chimneys, eight gaslights, and a tree trunk for main support in the basement -- 12 rooms.

Peter and Mary Schwartz came from Germany in 1842. Peter passed away in 1894 and Mary in 1890. They had Simon; there were also Simon's brothers and sisters, John, Peter, Jr., Katherine (Kriebel) and Anna (Nagel).

Simon Schwartz was born Aug. 27, 1852 and passed away at 5:15 AM on March 20, 1932. His wife, Anna Jane (Sullivan), was born June 16, 1859 and passed away at 9:00 PM on April 23, 1925. They were married on Oct. 20, 1885 by Father Sheffield at Holy Trinity Church, then located on Jaycox Road. The church and rectory were in front of the cemetery nearer to the road and across the street was Holy Trinity School and convent. They had ten children:

                  Born              Died

Anna (Krebs)      Jan. 4, 1887     June 26, 1948

Peter             Feb. 20, 1888    Jan. 20, 1969

Louis             May 26, 1889     Sept. 1960

Ella (Forthofer)  Dec. 14, 1890    Jan. 26, 1971

Agnes (Urig)      Oct. 14, 1892    Mar. 30, 1970

Leo               Jan. 18, 1894    July 29, 1958

Helen (Smith)     July 18, 1895    June 17, 1982

Martha            Nov. 26, 1897    Dec. 5, 1976

Blanche           June 2, 1900     [Sep. 19, 1988]

Dorothy           Oct. 20, 1902    May 5, 1980

Blanche's maternal grandmother came from Ireland on a sail boat with two children to join her husband who came two years earlier and built a log cabin in Ridgeville on Jaycox Rd.

Peter, Simon's son, married Mary (Fischer). They had two children, Ray and Mary Gertrude. Mary passed away from uremia and convulsions shortly after giving birth to Ray, who was born three months premature.

Roy and Barbara Ladegaard and family moved into the home in July of 1970.

Blanche Schwartz gave the above information to Barbara Ladegaard on Feb. 8, 1981 at her home on Julian St. in Avon. That year she was turning 81 years old and her memory was excellent.

April 29, 2001

Top -- Home

NEWS ARTICLE from The Morning Journal, 11-27-07, by SCOT ALLYN, Morning Journal Writer

Lonnie Hanchosky of Avon, Joel Schwartz of North Ridgeville and Larry Schwartz of Avon killed two deer in Avon. Photo by Ben Wirtz Siegel] / Morning Journal

``Sportsmen brave rain to net first deer of the '07 season

AVON -- If you thought the rainy, cold weather yesterday was miserable, you're probably not a deer hunter.

Sportsmen across the state waited all year for the start of deer gun season that began yesterday [11-26-07] and runs through Dec. 3 [2007]. A bonus weekend, Dec. 15 to 16, was added again this year after an extra weekend increased last year's deer harvest, according to Jim Marshall, assistant chief of the Division of Wildlife of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

Ohio's deer population is estimated at 650,000 animals, Marshall said. Gun and bow hunters bagged about 237,000 deer last year, according to Marshall. An additional 30,000 usually die annually on Ohio's roads, he said.

Three Lorain County hunters brought two deer in to the checkpoint in the Gander Mountain store in Sheffield Village yesterday. Lonnie Hanchosky, 44, of Avon, said the 10-point buck he brought in was the biggest deer he's shot in about 20 years of hunting. Hanchosky used a Knight .50-caliber muzzle-loader to bring the deer down on a friend's property in Avon, where shotguns are not allowed, he said.

The trophy deer weighed about 180 pounds, Hanchosky said. ''I'll have him mounted,'' he said. ''I'll clean him myself, make some steaks and some roasts, and grind up some of the meat. It's just as good or better than beef. It's a little bit sweeter than beef.''

Hanchosky said he brought down the big buck with one shot about 1:30 p.m. yesterday, after starting hunting around 7:15 a.m. Hanchosky also has an urban permit, which allows him to bag one more deer this year.

''I took a week's vacation, so I have to make it worthwhile,'' he said. Today he'll be out looking for a doe, since the state allows hunters to bag only one antlered deer a year. ''If it's a real windy day they don't move a lot. They get spooked.''

Hanchosky's friend Larry Schwartz used a Thompson Thunderhawk .54-caliber muzzle-loader to bring down his 10-point buck with one shot yesterday.

''I got lucky,'' said Schwartz, 51. ''It takes about two minutes to reload, so you don't get a second chance.'' Avon's explosion of building prompted the city to outlaw shotguns about 10 years ago, Schwartz said.

''I plan to go out every day this week,'' he said. ''I enjoy the adventure, the thrill of the hunt and being with friends out in the environment. It's a challenge.''

Schwartz's deer weighed about 160 pounds, he said. Like Hanschosky, he'll be going out every day this week.

''The weather doesn't stop us,'' he said. After yesterday's hunt, he said he was soaked through.

Schwartz said he also butchers the deer himself. ''I like to grill the loins and make steaks and ground meat,'' he said. Schwartz will have about 30 pounds of the meat made into smokies at Kowalski's Sausage and Meats in Grafton Township, he said. Smokies are a spiced snack like beef jerky, he said

If Schwartz bags his limit early this week, he hopes to push deer for other hunters, assisting them in the pursuit. ''The hunters are at one end of the woods, and the pushers start at the other end and walk toward them,'' he said. ''It causes the deer to run toward the hunters.''

Larry's brother, Joel, was also out yesterday with Hanchosky, but had worse luck. He missed two deer. ''I should of had them, but when you use a muzzle loader, you get only one chance,'' said Joel Schwartz, 43. He said his wife Dawn brought down a doe one year with a crossbow. ''Dawn and I like to eat the meat,'' he said. ''It's not fatty, and we have lots of recipes.''

Ohio's bow hunting season began Sept. 29 [2007] and will run through Feb. 3, 2008. Through mid-November, bow hunters bagged 53,982 deer statewide, Marshall said, about 18 percent higher than last year at this time.

Marshall hopes hunters will set a new record this year ''We do want to reduce the deer herd,'' he said. ''(Monday) wasn't best day for hunting, but we want another record.'' Temperatures between 20 and 40 degrees would be ideal for deer activity, he said.

The historical appeal of muzzle-loaders, which are loaded from the end of the barrel like a Revolutionary War-era flintlock, is growing, according to Marshall. Some hunters are even dressing in clothing from pioneer days, including coon-skin caps, for hunting season, Marshall said.''''


Sarah Schwartz

Dressed as Alice in Wonderland for the Vintage House Cafe, Sarah Schwartz sits next to a large duct tape teakettle during the Avon Heritage Duct Tape Parade [6-16-07]. photo by Stephanie J. Smith / Morning Journal

Sarah is the daughter of Marty and Jill Schwartz; two of her uncles shown above are Larry and Joel Schwartz. She is the granddaughter of Eugene Schwartz and great-granddaughter of Louis Schwartz, brother of Blanche Schwartz.


If you would like to contribute information on this home, please email: tjs11@centurytel.net

Avon Century Homes -- Top -- Home -- What's New