NEWS ARTICLE from The Morning Journal, 10-17-01, By ANDREA MIGHT, Morning Journal Writer
Flu vaccine to be dispersed through clinics
ELYRIA -- The Lorain County Health District has 5,000 flu vaccines ready for this year's immunization clinics and hopes to receive more, according to Sandy Hine, the district's nursing supervisor.
The district has released a list of immunization clinics starting Nov. 2 and running to Dec. 3, during which each immunization will cost $5.
Immunizations will be offered to all Lorain County residents 18 and older, but priority will be given to senior citizens and those with chronic health conditions.
Hine asked that those younger than 65 wait to get their vaccines until after the first two weeks so senior citizens are able to get theirs.
No immunizations will be given at the clinics to anyone younger than 18.
Nationally, about 79 million doses of flu vaccine are expected to be available this season, which is about 4 million more than last year, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention ...
For more information, please call the Lorain County General Health District at 244-3418.
Following is the schedule of immunization clinics:
- Friday, Nov. 2, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the New Russia Township Hall, 46268 Butternut Ridge Road, Oberlin.
- Tuesday, Nov. 6, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Columbia Station Town Hall, 25496 Royalton Road, Columbia Station.
- Wednesday, Nov. 7, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Church of Christ, 5075 Toledo Road, Sheffield Township.
- Thursday, Nov. 8, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Amherst VFW Post 1662, 165 Cleveland Ave., Amherst.
- Monday, Nov. 12, from 2 to 5:30 p.m. at the Sheffield Lake Community Center, 4575 East Lake Road, Sheffield Lake.
- Tuesday, Nov. 13, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the North Ridgeville Senior Center, 7327 Avon Belden Road, North Ridgeville.
- Wednesday, Nov. 14, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Avon United Methodist Church, 37711 Detroit Road, Avon.
- Thursday, Nov. 15, from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Wellington Fire Station #2, 202 Kelly St., Wellington.
- Friday, Nov. 16, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the LaGrange Village Hall, 155 South Center St., LaGrange.
- Saturday, Nov. 17, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lorain County General Health District, 9880 S. Murray Ridge Road, Elyria.
- Monday, Nov. 19, from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Grafton Community Center, 1050 Novak Road, Grafton.
- Monday, Dec. 3, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lorain County General Health District, 9880 S. Murray Ridge Road, Elyria.
NEWS ARTICLE from The Chronicle-Telegram, 11-16-01, By Kristin Yarbrough
``Flu clinics delayed by lack of vaccines
ELYRIA -- The county health department canceled two upcoming flu immunization clinics Thursday because it ran out of vaccines, county Health Commissioner Ken Pearce said ...
Flu shots that were to be given Saturday at the health department office and Monday at the Grafton Community Room have been canceled, Pearce said ...
A record number of flu shots will be given this year. Between 600 and 700 immunizations are usually given out at each clinic, but the number has climbed to as high as 985.
Many residents have been spurred to get immunizations because of anthrax fears in other parts of the country, Pearce said. ... ''
The Latest News
(c) 2000, The Morning Journal